Pieces of a Mosaic

I am becoming the person I want to be

Little by Little 

and Piece by Piece

Today I listened to words like a song

An essay about moments that don't last too long

I rejoiced with my sister

for employing a gift,

A love of writing, a perspective shift.

She told me I was the first person that she

wanted to call and to hear her read 

because she knew that I

wouldn't be bothered

by glory or blah or greatness or fodder

That I would sit with her in the moment

Celebrating the joy she felt when she composed it

It made me cry 

To know that I

am becoming the person I want to be,

Little by little

and piece by piece

Someone who shares and rejoices and knows

That life isn't just about wherever it goes

It's about moments big and small

where we step into all of ourselves, ALL.

And last week, I shared a boundary I set

(In part to remind myself why I needed it kept)

With a friend (she wasn't part of the problem)

But talking out loud often helps me to solve them

She said, "When I grow up, you know who I want to be?"

And what surprise I felt when she said like me.

Like me?

surely this can only mean

I am becoming the person I want to be,

Little by little and piece by piece.

I am growing and learning and struggling too

but some part of me is a person who

is appreciated and loved--

no, not part, ALL

These pieces of me be they smooth or jagged

Make up the mosaic I've messily crafted 

and finally in my heart I've begun to believe

from the tips of my toes to the edge of my sleeve

I was made to be loved and I love me.

And I love the person I am going to be

Little by little and piece by piece.

Comments